Tuesday, November 12, 2013

What Are You Reading?


Lit.

I grew up in a family of readers. Ours is the kind of family in which everyone receives at least one book for Christmas and it is not unusual for all of us to be reading the same book at the same time, not just the same story, but the actual book. We snatch it up as soon as the first person sets it down to make lunch or run an errand and leapfrog our bookmarks past one another. By the end of the day, we can all safely discuss the first few chapters over dinner. I love talking about books. I love the way a good writer crafts stories that you fall into, that surprise or shock you, that are as familiar as my own memories or entirely alien but still somehow compelling and real. There are books that I have read just once but cherished throughout my life and books I return to over and over again. A good story can change the way you see the world.

Some novels that have been important to me, in no particular order:

Snow Falling On Cedars, David Guterson
The Shipping News, Annie Proulx
One Hundred Years Of Solitude, Gabriel Garcia Marquez
Me Talk Pretty One Day, David Sedaris
The Pilots Wife, Anita Shreve
The Bean Trees, Barbara Kingsolver
Nineteen Eighty Four, George Orwell
The Hitchhiker's Guide To The Galaxy, Douglas Adams
Generation X, Douglas Coupland
The Joy Luck Club, Amy Tan
Divine Secrets of the YaYa Sisterhood, Callie Khouri

What are you reading?

Picture:


No comments:

Post a Comment