Tuesday, November 5, 2013

Thirty Days of Thanks


Giving.

There is a modern tradition developing of expressing 30 days of public gratitude during the month of November. It is one of the few soulful consequences of social media I have witnessed and, I think, an important and healthy use of our technology and inter-connectedness. There is documented and scientific evidence pointing to the role of gratitude and its expression in the health of our relationships and ourselves. I believe that we can take that one step farther and say that the expression of gratitude is a pathway to peace.  In gratitude we recognize the compassion and value of the world around us and the people in our lives. To express gratitude is to recognize each others humanity and our own needs. It is a fundamental step in recognizing both how we wish to be treated and the way we wish to be in the world. It is worth speaking it out loud.

I am thankful for:

My health.
My relationship with my parents.
The fire.
My home and the person I share it with.
The love of a good cat.
Hot tea.
Friends that call.
Hot running water.
Employment.
My ballet class.
Hugs.
The massage therapist that is fixing my back.
Outdoor pools.
Sun breaks.
The cabin in the woods.
Writing.
Public broadcasting.
The silence function on phones.
Online banking.
People that give me a chance.
Black Magdalene.
My students.
Mac and cheese.
The people that listen.
Puzzles.
My pen pals.
Strangers that are kind to me.
Yoga.
Authors whose books I fall into.
Serendipity and random acts of kindness.
Good food and folks to share it with.

Please share some things that you are thankful for:

Photograph Courtesy of:




No comments:

Post a Comment