Monday, May 6, 2013

Wait and Watch (III)



Feeder.

I love the simple act of hope that is the filling of a new bird feeder.  I love the idea of this modern ritual of offering, with no expectation of ownership or relationship.  There is something exciting about the anticipation of a new feeder.  I remember over the years the feeders at my parents house changing, morphing over time in accordance with their waxes and wanes of time, energy, and interest.  There were seeds for finches and sparrows, suet for nuthatches, chickadees and woodpeckers, and sweet nectar for hummingbirds.  Each feeder was carefully placed away from harm and visible from a window.  On sunny spring days my parents would finish their cup of coffee in silence, watching together the gathering of the neighborhood flock.  Now I too, sit and wait, watching for the world to notice my simple gift.

Photograph:

No comments:

Post a Comment